Ways to make someone's day just a little brighter
This time of year is supposed to be focused on happiness and joy, but it can also be one of sadness and challenges for some people. Life is filled with tough times and events, and often, you may not even know someone is struggling with an illness, problem or obstacle.
Are you looking for ways to boost the spirits of a neighbor or family member? Do you want to make a coworker or friend smile? Are you the type of person who just wants to help brighten the days of other people? Are you looking for ways to get into the spirit of the holiday season? If so, you might want to start by making a list of people you want to surprise with acts of kindness. Then pick something to do and go do it. You can also practice random acts of kindness, which are ones that you don't think about ahead of time and just do in the moment.
There really is an unending list of acts of kindness. To get you started, we've gathered just a few to try!
- Walk your neighbor's dog.
- Offer to sit with an elderly neighbor to play a board game, watch tv or read to them.
- Help a younger sibling with homework.
- Offer to babysit for a single parent to give him or her time off.
- Rake your friend's back yard when they aren't home. And then don't tell them that you did it!
- Make eye contact when saying hello to someone on an elevator.
- Always say please and thank you.
- Write a thank-you note to a teacher who positively impacted your life.
- Help your parents clean out the attic, garage or basement.
- Gather a group of friends and volunteer to lead a sing-a-long in a nursing home.
- Wash and wax your grandparent's car.
- Include a happy note in your child's lunch box.
- Take your significant other to the restaurant he or she has been wanting to try.
- Place a sticky note with a funny saying or inspirational quote on your co-worker's desk.
- Hold the door for the person entering a store behind you.
- When going through a drive-through, pay of the order of the person behind you.
- If a fellow classmate is struggling in a course, offer to help study with him or her.
- If you're a whiz with technology, but your co-worker is not, set up a few tutoring sessions.
- Cook a meal for a friend who is very busy or sick or just needs a pick-me-up.
- Spend time with a friend, family member, or neighbor who needs support.
- Mail a love note to your significant other, even if you live together.
- Say hello to people you walk by in a parking lot, in the mall, on a city street.
- Offer to help an elderly person put grocery bags in their car.
- Smile and be positive. The people you are around on a daily basis will notice!
Did you know that there is actually a web site devoted to random acts of kindness? It includes inspirational quotes and stories, and it might be another great place to get ideas.
This is a wonderful time of year to start the practice of performing acts of kindness that you can then carry into the new year! We hope this list will help you surprise many people in your life now and in the future!
This article is part of the Harris Casel Institute’s weekly blog. We conveniently offer career training programs at our campus in Melbourne, FL. For more information, please contact us online!