These online tools can make your job easier
A Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) handles a range of duties at hospitals and long-term care facilities. These can include basic patient care, monitoring vital signs, assisting with personal care such as grooming and dressing, and maintaining patient records. You can see how technology can come in handy with keeping track of and organizing some of these tasks.
After you complete a training program and jump into the workplace, it’s a good idea to load up your mobile phone or tablet with some helpful apps, so you have tools you can use on a daily basis to help you complete your LPN tasks quickly and efficiently.
Here are examples of budget-conscious or free apps that might be good tools for you to have at your fingertips during your shifts. Please remember that the Harris Casel Institute does not promote or endorse any of these specific apps. We offer this list as a starting point for your research into which apps would be the most useful for you.
- Skyscape Medical Library is a free app that provides access to medical journals, news, information, and tools—good for whether you’re a student or are already in the working world. There are links for downloading the app for iOS or Android devices.
- Skyscape also offers Snap Word, which is a convenient study aid for nursing students. Currently, it is only available for iOS, but an Android version is coming soon to GooglePlay.
- Nurse:Tabs Fundamentals offers information on procedures and skills for basic patient care. It is organized by topic and is searchable by keyword. The app is $9.99, but in-app video purchases are an additional $4. It is available for iOS and Android.
- Nursing Central is a free app available for both iOS and Android products. It offers drug, disease, and test information as well as access to 65,000 medical definitions.
- Disease Dictionary, free for iOS and Android, is a handy reference of diseases and disorders that includes details on causes, signs and symptoms, and treatments.
While you’re in school, do some online research and download free apps to try out. See which ones help you to be professional, accurate, and knowledgeable when you enter the work force as an LPN. If this career intrigues you, we invite you to learn more about LPN training programs like the one at the Harris Casel Institute.
This article is part of the Harris Casel Institute’s weekly blog. We conveniently offer many career training programs at our campus in Melbourne, FL. Contact us for more information!