Try these ideas to find out how rewarding kindness can be
If you are bored and looking for something to spice up your life, why not try a random act of kindness? The phrase “random acts of kindness” started in a 1993 book by Anne Herbert and the notion seems to have caught on. A random act of kindness is the simple idea that spreading acts of kindness can help make the world a better place.
The Harris Casel Institute has compiled a list of free (or low-cost) ideas for sharing kindnesses with others around you. Whether it is friends or strangers, whoever it is will appreciate your effort. Here are some sample ideas to get you started.
- Put a quarter in someone’s parking meter if it has expired
- Leave some change in the vending machine at school for someone else to find
- Lend a favorite book to a friend
- Next time you see a buy-one-get-one-free sale, give the free item to a friend
- Leave thank you notes for people who don’t get them often enough: cleaning staff, trash collectors, mail carriers…or even your parents!
- Write a letter to a serviceman or servicewoman
- Spend a few minutes texting compliments to all of your friends
- Shovel or sweep your neighbor’s sidewalk
- If you are leaving a tip, leave one more dollar than usual
- Write five different compliments to friends on social media
- Write a letter of appreciation to your teacher, saying what you like about the class
- Pick up litter that you see around your school or home
- Buy a cup of coffee for a friend next time you’re getting your morning joe
- Leave funny riddles or inspirational quotes on sticky notes around your school
- Compliment someone on how well their young child is behaving
- Give flowers to someone for no reason at all
- Let other drivers ahead of you in traffic
- Invite someone new to study with you or sit with you at lunch
This list is just the beginning. You can probably come up with many more ideas for sharing kindness throughout your day. With any luck, you will inspire others to spread kindness too. Give it a try, and you might find it becomes a way of life!
The Harris Casel Institute, located in Melbourne, FL, offers career-focused training programs for Home Health Aides, Medical Billing and Coding Specialists, Nursing Assistants, Practical Nurses, and more. Visit us online to learn more about studying with us.