Could this be the right job path for you?
When you think of your ideal job, do you picture working in an office? Do you like the quiet, professional atmosphere that offices can provide? If so, then one possible career path for you is becoming a medical billing and coding specialist. The Harris Casel Institute in Melbourne, Florida is proud to offer a one-year training program for people interested in pursuing this field.
What do medical billers and coders do?
Medical billers and coders are professionals in the healthcare system who are responsible for processing insurance claims. They can work in any number of healthcare facilities, such as doctors’ offices, specialists’ offices, hospitals, nursing homes, and more. A typical day on the job might include:
- Assigning diagnosis codes to patient records, using the ICD-10 and HCPCS coding systems
- Assigning procedural codes to patient records, using the CPT-4 program
- Double-checking the accuracy of the codes assigned by the doctors and nurses
- Following up on insurance claims that haven’t been paid yet
- Talking with medical staff to clarify what types of services were provided
- Updating electronic health records
- Entering data on payments received and payments outstanding
How long does it take to become a medical billing and coding specialist?
The program at Harris Casel will train you with the skills and information you need to work in the field of medical billing and coding. If you enroll as a full-time student, you should be able to complete the coursework in about one year.
And the great news is that you don’t need any previous experience. Our courses are made for beginners, and we take an accelerated approach to help you get into the job marketplace in a short period of time. Like any new career path, you will need to come to school ready to learn and willing to work hard in your classes. Here are some of the topics that you will learn in our program:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Healthcare delivery systems
- Health information services
- Transforming verbal descriptions into the proper numerical medical code
- Proper procedures of billing and coding input
- Electronic and manual procedures to maintain medical records
- Electronic health records
- Ethical and legal responsibilities
If these subjects sound hard, don’t worry. Our instructors are here to help our students learn and succeed. With hard work and commitment to your studies, we know you can make it!
What are the benefits of choosing this career path?
Many people who choose to become medical billing and coding specialists find that the field has a good number of benefits, such as:
- You don’t need a college degree
- The training can be done in just one year
- Working in an office environment is a plus
- The healthcare industry is a respected field
- Skills are marketable and portable to other institutions
- Options for employment are varied, from small family doctors’ offices to major healthcare systems
If these benefits sound good, and if you think medical billing and coding is a career field that appeals to you, be sure to find out more. Try 5 Things to Know about Becoming a Medical Biller and Coder.
For those living in the Melbourne, Florida region, now’s the time to reach out to us at Harris Casel. It’s easy to get started. We would love to hear from you!